God loves you too much to leave you where you are. Formation is a life-long journey. That is why Saint Mark offers programs for all ages: from children, to youth, to adults. All are welcome!
Religious Formation for Children and Youth
Our formation curriculum provides children and youth, grades K thru 12, age appropriate content which is approved by our diocese. Formation classes span from mid September to early May each year. Other programs and events are also held throughout the year..
Children’s Formation for Grades 1 through 5 are held on Sundays from 12:30pm until 2:00pm and Kindergarten 12:30 until 1:30pm
Teen Formation classes for those in Grades 6th through 12th are held from 6:00pm until 8:00pm on Sunday evenings.
Y3S: Service, Spirituality and Social are the three pillars of our faith. Once a month, we use our formation time to focus on one of these aspects.
For information on Sacraments (First Holy Communion and/or Confirmation), look under the Sacraments tab in the top menu
2023-2024 Religious Formation Calendar
*** It is imperative that you check the bulletin every Sunday for any possible updates or changes ***
Important Dates for 2023 - 2024 First Reconciliation and First Communion
First Reconciliation February 24, 2024
First Holy Communion Mass June 2, 2024
Important Dates for Confirmation (all rising 10th Graders and above) are :
Confirmation Preparation Session 1: October 12, 2023
Confirmation Preparation Session 2: November 9, 2023
Confirmation Preparation Session 3: December 14, 2023
Confirmation Preparation Session 4: January 11, 2024
Rite of Recognition Mass January 20&21, 2024
Confirmation Preparation Session 5: Febrary 8, 2024
Confirmation Retreat March 9, 2024
Reconciliation Session 6: March 14, 2024
Mystagogy Session TBD
Vacation Bible School (VBS) Team
Our highly successful and very popular Vacation Bible School is a one-week summer formation program for Pre-K through elementary school age children. The program occurs each July with preparation beginning earlier in the formation year. The VBS team plans, organizes, and conducts the one week summer program assisted by youth and parent volunteers*.
Any adult (18 years and older) volunteering with children or youth in the parish must complete the diocesan mandated Virtus Training. What is Virtus Traning? See the VIRTUS section below.
Rite of Christian Initiation for Children
This formation process is designed for children and youth, age 7 and older, who have not been baptized in any Christian faith, or those coming to the Catholic faith from another Christian faith tradition, or those not formed in the Catholic faith.
RCIA for children is a dual track program. The children/youth are enrolled in on-going formation as well as RCIA for children.
Formation sessions are based on the number of children/youth participating. Participants will receive the 3 Sacraments of Initiation at the Easter Vigil based on their readiness.
Connecting with adults is an essential part of our parish. Small group settings allow us to gather, learn, and share/discuss the traditions, sacraments, theology and prayer of our Church while building community.
FORMED is "the Catholic faith, on demand" -- a gift from St. Mark's to you of unlimited access to Catholic e-books, talks, and videos. Use it to learn from the best sources of Catholic wisdom and to enrich your own faith.
- Goto https://formed.org/signup
- Type Virginia Beach in the search box and select Catholic Church of Saint Mark from the results
- Click NEXT and enter your information to Sign-Up!
Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA)
The RCIA process is focused on those adults (17 and older) who …
- have not been baptized and desire to inquire into the Catholic faith and way of life
- have been baptized in another faith experience and desire to become a Catholic
- have been baptized in the Catholic faith and have never been formed in this faith tradition.
The full RCIA journey consists of four periods of awakening, growth and formation marked by celebration of three major rites (steps) involving the whole St. Mark community. For more information please visit our page Becoming Catholic.
RCIA Catechumenate Formation Schedule
1. VIRTUS: “Protecting God’s Children”. This consists of a one-time 3 hour facilitated session that addresses the signs of abused children and potential abusers and what to do if abuse is suspected. Monthly on-line bulletins are associated with the program to keep everyone up to date in this particular problem area.
There is no charge for this training. It is mandated by the Diocese of Richmond that all diocesan employees, clergy, religious, teachers, staff, and all volunteers who work with children or youth take this training.
To register for the facilitated sessions: Go to www.virtusonline.org and choose “Registration,” then highlight “Diocese of Richmond” from the drop down menu. Press SELECT. Fill in your information and submit. Choose the green arrow next to “I would like to attend….” Then select the training called “Protecting God’s Children for ADULTS” on date and place of.
2. Background Checks: The diocese also has established a process where all volunteers (ages 16 and older) working with children and youth will fill-out the necessary background check paperwork. The background check is accomplished every 5 years. You will also become familiar with the Safe Environment policies of the Diocese of Richmond and the St Mark community.
If you have any questions, please contact the Religious Formation Office at 757-479-9897.